February 2020 Newsletter: International Association of Survey Statisticians
Links to more information:
- The January 2021 issue of The Survey Statistician (TSS) is available.
- 2021 Newsletters are available
- The calendar of events is available
- IASS Twitter account @iass_isi
The TSS is an open access journal. If you would like to contribute an article to the Ask the Experts, New and Emerging Methods, and Book and Software Review sections please approach the TSS editors or James Chipperfield (email below)
The IASS Executive Committee encourage members to subscribe and contribute articles to the Statistics Journal of the International Association of Official Statistics. Website: https://officialstatistics.com/aims-scope .
Please feel free to send items to publish in future IASS newsletters to James Chipperfield email@example.com
Analysis of Survey Data Using R
With funding from the World Bank and support from the IASS, Associate Professor Marcel de Toledo Vieira, has prepared a short auto-instructional course on the Analysis of Survey Data Using R which can be accessed via the link www.isi-web.org/courses/analysis-of-survey-data-using-r.
The course includes:
- introductory videos,
- and course notes with theoretical lessons,
- followed by tutorials for practical computer sessions in R,
- and computer workshops.
In the practical sessions, participants will conduct tasks using the methods and software presented. Examples with data are presented and used in the practical sessions. Short videos, course materials, data files, and R scripts are provided on this website. Main topics include probability sampling designs, an introduction to the analysis of survey data, point and standard error estimation, model selection and model fitting, and plotting survey data.
Passing of Ken Brewer (courtesy of Siu-Ming Tam)
Dear friends and colleagues
It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of the passing of Ken Brewer at the Canberra Aged Care nursing home in the early hours of Sunday, 3 Jan 2021. Ken passed away peacefully. Not only was Ken a giant in survey sampling, he was also a dear friend to many of us and had unselfishly shared his knowledge and insights with junior colleagues. I am one of those who have benefitted a lot from working with, and learning from, him.
We will miss him dearly.
We are aiming to hold a webinar each month.
The IASS is pleased to announce its first Francophone Webinar, “The generalized weight share method and its applications”, to be held on the 26.02.2021 at 14.00-15.00 (CET).
The moderator is Alina Matei (Université de Neuchâtel, Suisse) and the speakers are Pierre Lavallée (statisticien d’enquête, Canada) and Guillame Chauvet (ENSAI, IRMAR, France)
For more information (in French), including registration, please use the link below.
Upcoming events related to household surveys (courtsey of Haoyi Chen, Inter-Secretariat Working Group on Household Surveys)
I would like to bring to your attention to the following upcoming events related to household surveys, organized by ISWGHS and partners:
- The topic on Household Surveys will be for discussion during the UN Statistical Commission (agenda item 3(l)), click here for a paper prepared by the Inter-Secretariat Working Group on Household Surveys (ISWGHS).
- You are cordially invited to join the following events on household surveys:
- Positioning household surveys for the next decade, UNSC side event organized by ISWGHS, consultation on the preparation of a paper with the same title “Positioning household surveys for the next decade”. Annotated outline for the paper is available here.
- Date/time: 19 February 2021, 8-9am EST
- Weighting, Estimation and Imputation in Mix-mode Data Collection, jointly organized by ISWGHS and ESCAP
- Date/Time: 14 February 2011, 11pm – 12am EST | 15 February 2021, 11am-12pm Bangkok time
- Innovations in Household Surveys – MICS Plus as a Longitudinal Realtime Data Collection Tool, organized by UNICEF
- Date/time: 11 February 2021, 9-10:30am EST
- You may also be interested in joining the following UNSC side events that are relevant to household surveys:
- Building a community to strengthen statistical training, organized by UNSD: Presents work done to improve coordination and availability of statistical training linked to the Global Network of Institutes for Statistical Training (GIST), covering a hub for statistical courses on UN SDG: learn and other activities to make those courses available.
- Date/time: 11February 2021, 7:00-8:30am EST
- Working to improve timeliness and granularity of SDG data, organized by UNSD, GPSDD, SDSN-TReNDS and the World Bank: Presents progress made under the Data for Now initiative, launched by UN Deputy Secretary General Amina Mohammed, in September 2019. Its work with eight pilot countries under for this Initiative will be presented.
- Date/time: 16 February 11:00am-12:30pm EST
- Training opportunity with ILO
- COVID-19 response for producers and users of labour statistics
- Date: 15 February – 12 March 2021
- Click here to apply
Upcoming IASS-Supported Conferences in 2021
ICES VI – The International Conference on Establishment Statistics will take place 14-17 June 2021 in New Orleans, U.S. Website: https://ww2.amstat.org/meetings/ices/2020/conferenceinfo.cfm/
SAE2021- BigSmall – Conference on Small Area Estimation, with the theme “Big Data for Small Areas”, will be held virtually 20-24 September, as a satellite conference to the World Statistics Conference in 2021. Website: https://sae2020.org/
11e Colloque International Francophone sur les Sondages – 11th International Francophone Conference on Surveys will take place 6-8 October 2021 in Brussels, Belgium. Website: http://sondages2020.sciencesconf.org.
Other Conferences on survey statistics and related areas
American Statistical Association Conference on Statistical Practice is planned to take place 18-20 February 2021 in Nashville, USA. Website: https://ww2.amstat.org/meetings/csp/2020/index.cfm
Statistics in the Big Data Era will take place 2 – 4 June 2021 in Berkeley, USA. Website: https://simons.berkeley.edu/workshops/statistics-big-data-era
Symposium on Data Science & Statistics is planned to take placeJune 2-5, 2021 in Missouri, USA–. Website: https://ww2.amstat.org/meetings/sdss/2021/
ANZSC 2021 – Australian Statistical Society and New Zealand Statistical Association Conference will take place 5 – 9 July 5, Gold Coast, Australia. Website: https://anzsc2021.com.au/
Conference and Special Issue of Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A in memory of Fred Smith and Chris Skinner will be held in Southampton, UK, 8‐10 July 2021. See the August 2020 IASS Newsletter for full details.
63rd ISI World Statistics Congress will take place 11-16 July 2021 and will be virtual. Website: https://www.isi2021.org/
Joint Statistical Meetings 2021 will take place 7 -12 August in Seattle, USA. Website: https://www.amstat.org/ASA/Meetings/Joint-Statistical-Meetings.aspx
2021 Women in Statistics and Data Science Conference will take place 7-9 October in Pittsburgh, USA. Website: https://ww2.amstat.org/meetings/wsds/2021/
The Survey Research Methods Section (SRMS) of the ASA Information on activities of the Survey Research Methods Section of the American Statistical Association (ASA) are available at: https://community.amstat.org/surveyresearchmethodssection/home